Baked Cajun Garlic Butter Cod is a tender and juicy cod filet baked in a buttery cajun seasoning with garlic cloves and olive oil making this cod a flavorful and delicious dinner. Baked to perfection in 15 minutes!
Baking is simple and easy to let the oven do the work. If you love baked seafood try this Tilapia and Roasted Veggies, Walnut Crusted Maple Salmon or Copycat Bang Bang Shrimp.
The Best Cajun Garlic Butter Cod Recipe
This is the best baked cod fish recipe that is melt in your mouth delicious! Cod is a mild, sweeter fish. It doesn’t have the fishy taste that most people try to avoid. I am a lover all things fish and knew that I needed to make a baked cod recipe soon. This baked cod came out so tender and juicy with all the flavoring. I love cajun seasoning and knew this was going to be a simple meal with the perfect combination.
It is easy to make and comes together within minutes. I couldn’t believe the results I got after baking this delicious cajun garlic butter cod recipe. It is quick and easy with simple ingredients. This cod turns out to be a sweet, spicy and savory meal that is just what is needed on a busy weeknight. My family loved the tender pieces of skin that just melted in our mouths. It was the perfect way to end a busy day.
What is Cod?
Cod is known to be a sweeter white fish. Because of the sweetness cod usually doesn’t have the fishy taste to it. A cod filet is full of flavor and tastes delicious with any seasonings. Cod can also be cooked several different ways. Cod is very nutritious and is known to have lean protein, minerals and vitamins. The good thing about cod it does contain less mercury compared to other white fish.
Baked Cod Ingredients:
This tender and juicy cod fish is delicious and full of flavor. It has minimal amount of ingredients with the maximum amount of flavoring. It is AMAZING and one of the best cod recipes I have made!
- Cod Filets: It is best if the skin is off
- Salt and Pepper: Just to season the cod filets with.
Cajun Garlic Butter Sauce:
- Butter: Melt the butter before whisking it the sauce together.
- Olive Oil: Helps bake the cod filets and gives extra flavor plus a crispy outside.
- Garlic Cloves: Garlic adds in more flavor to the cod.
- Cajun Seasoning: A little spicy seasoning that gives the cod a rich, strong flavor.
How to Bake Cod in the Oven:
Simply add the cod to a baking pan and lightly season it with salt and pepper. This will add more flavoring as it is baking. Whisk together cajun garlic butter sauce together. This is a simple and easy sauce that only has four ingredients. Those four ingredients become a masterpiece leaving this cod one of the best baked cod recipes out there. Within 15 minutes you will have an amazing baked cod recipe that is to die for.
- Prepare the cod: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a 9×13 inch baking dish add the cod and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- To make the Cajun Garlic Butter Sauce: In a small bowl whisk together the melted butter, olive oil, garlic and cajun. Spread evenly over the fish.
- Bake the cod: Bake for about 15 minutes or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily.
What Temperature should Cod be Cooked at:
Any cooking method that is used for making cod, it will be done when it reaches an internal temperature of 130 degrees Fahrenheit. It is best to use a meat thermometer for the most accurate internal temperature. Once cod reaches the proper cooking temperature the color of the fish will become opaque and flakey. If you do not have a meat thermometer by looking at the cods color can help.
The Recipe Critic Pro Tip:
Stick a fork in the thickest part of the fish and gently twist the fork at a 45 degree angle. If the fish comes along with the fork and has flaky, opaque color to it, it has reached its cooking temperature. Undercooked fish will not be translucent and it will resist flaking.
Is Baked Cod Healthy?
Yes! That is what I love about cod and most fish recipes. Cod is nutritious with a lot of hidden flavor. It is known to have lean protein, vitamins and minerals. This is perfect to eat while maintaining a healthy diet.
What to Serve with Cod:
A nice fruit salad with loads of colors, a side salad and many vegetable sides are all great ways to complete this meal. This cod recipe is perfect for a lighter meal but also can add in mashed potatoes or skillet potatoes to make it more filling.
- Asparagus: Perfectly Grilled Parmesan Asparagus
- Rice: Cheesy Zucchini Rice
- Green Beans: Garlic Parmesan Green Beans with Bacon
- Brussel Sprouts: Maple Roasted Brussels sprouts and Butternut Squash or Roasted Maple Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- Side Salad: Summer Corn Salad
- Carrots: Glazed Carrots
- Corn: Grilled Mexican Street Corn
FAQs for Baking the Best Cod:
- Why is my cod tough? This usually entails that your cod was overcooked during the baking process. To avoid this, try using a meat thermometer or my fork test to ensure the best cooked cod.
- Can you eat undercooked Cod? It is best to have a cooked fish to avoid any parasites in your body.
- Should I cover fish in the oven? You do not need to cover the fish while it is being cooked.
- What is the difference between cod loin and cod fillet? A loin is the prime cut of the fish. It is a section cut from the fillet. A fillet is the entire part of the fish.
- Is salmon or cod healthier? Both fish are known to be healthy just in different ways. They do hold many nutrients, vitamins and are both a lean meat.
How to Store Baked Cod:
- Making ahead: This baked cod is simple to make and only has 4 ingredients for the sauce. Making the sauce ahead of time is easy to do.
- Refrigerating: Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
- Can you freeze baked cod: Yes! Once the baked cod is served, let it cool completely before storing. Once cooled off place in an airtight container or ziplock bag and store flat in the freeze for up to 1 month.
- Warming up: Place back in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 to 15 minutes or gently warm up in the microwave with less time intervals.
More Delicious and Healthy Seafood Recipes:
- Smoky Paprika Fish Tacos with an Apple Slaw
- Brown Butter Lemon Salmon
- Seared Ahi Tuna
- Garlic Butter Herb Scallops
- Cajun Garlic Butter Shrimp
Baked Cajun Garlic Butter Cod
.wprm-recipe-rating .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-full svg * fill: #343434;
- 3 cod filets cut in half
- salt and pepper
Cajun Garlic Butter Sauce:
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a 9×13 inch baking dish add the cod and sprinkle with salt and pepper
To make the Cajun Garlic Butter Sauce: In a small bowl whisk together the melted butter, olive oil, garlic and cajun. Spread evenly over the fish.
Bake for about 15 minutes or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily.